Monday, March 7, 2011

Blanket Math!

Yep, there's algebra, trigonomity, even calculus is easy to master with the right teacher, but who teaches blanket math? Never heard of it? Well, it's the math it takes to mix the right combination of blankets to get a good night's sleep of course!

See, here's some examples:

1 light swaddle blanket + 1 medium wrap = 2 cold to sleep = 2 tired the next day
1 heavy swaddle blanket + 1 heavier fuzzy wrap + 1 light blanket to tuck in = 3 Ryderson's sleeping well through the night

I'm starting to think that baby clothes and blankets should have a warmth rating, and when you find your baby's number, it becomes easier to mix and match and substitute one for the other instead of having to experiment while laundry is being done and the magic combination isn't available!

Mark was sick with a cold all weekend, which meant overtime mommyhoodism for me. Boy am I worn out. Combine that with Alexiss not sleeping well this week and my sleep deprivation rears it's ugly head again. I did get a nap in yesterday as Mark was feeling a bit better to spell me off for a bit, and last night was a good night's sleep for Alexiss and I, meaning both of us a little less cranky today.

I continue to learn and understand myself and the world better with Alexiss here teaching me to change my quiet content existence in life. Last week, when Mark was sick I understood why women learn to expect certain behaviors from men/husbands/partners. Mark and I have always lived without expecting of each other and I've watched expectations ruin some otherwise good relationships as the woman expects the man to call, expects him to do something that seems normal in society to want. I never understood until Mark got sick and didn't tell/warn me ahead. So I went about my normal day knowing I could catch up with dishes..etc, when he got home. NOT! Instead I was scrambling to get things done and deal with Alexiss while he laid zoned out and sick on the couch. Then I realized that little girls grow up seeing this behaviour with the moms and dads, and carry it into relationships. When honestly, does it really matter if they call you that day? My mom was not like that with my dad, or not that I saw anyway, so I didn't pick up this kind of behavior. Mark and I always seemed to enjoy this type of relationship, it became one about respecting an individual and sharing the time we spent together while allowing the freedom to not have to be accountable for our individualism. It created a great atmosphere of friendship! A great thing in a relationship and non-smothering for either of us. Now there's a need though, and now we've agreed as a team to keep each other in the loop a bit more. I'm thankful that I now understand the concept instead of just behaviorally falling into patterns.

The hat and fingerless mitts I made for Alexiss are all knitted, just gotta find the time and umph to seam up the hat and weave in loose ends. I can't wait to show her off in them! It's even got me thinking of bettering the fingerless mitts and creating a pattern that's easier to put on babies and also for fingerless mitts that adjust/grow with them. The online site, Ravelry, is a spot for knitters to share patterns and track projects or patterns. I have one silly fingerless mitt pattern I made and shared for free. Some of the patterns have to be bought, if I ever got good enough, I may even be able to make a bit of money. Somehow I think with my demeanor I'll always offer my patterns for free though. heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment