Thursday, January 24, 2013

Smile Ali!

Today I had to go to work to get my badge and key for remote access replaced. Mark stayed home with Ali. You see, usually I'm good at tracking things in Ali's hands and watching where they fall. Not this time. A friend made me laugh when he called her a magpie, picture her picking up shinys entranced with them and wanting to save them for her own. I looked EVERYWHERE! Cupboards, the drawer at the bottom of the stove, drawers, even shoes.. one by one. Meh, it's a good way to clean a house I suppose.

Today I had a moment when I took comfort in hearing a co-worker tell me that by reading my blog, she can tell I love Alexiss and she likes the Mom that I am. It's refreshing to have a few Moms to talk to honestly about motherhood. Thanks Brenda!

Tonight (and every night) I'm still toying with the idea that there's SOMETHING I can do to get Ali to sleep through the night. The other night the equation was; shirt top tucked in (which is a silly part of the equation, but at this point, I'm not leaving anything out), light off, door closed, snack and I didn't open her door before I went to bed to check on her. Part of that equation was me getting sore and tired and putting Ali in her bed before she fell asleep on me in the rocking chair, it was obvious she wasn't comfortable on me as much as I wasn't comfortable with her on me, it lead to an all out tantrum (a long tantrum)...but you know what!!!?? She slept through the night!! Yes!!! In HER bed!! ALL night!!! First time in months and let me tell you, it was blissful! I wasn't willing to repeat the tantrum part, but repeated the rest last night because I thought I'd hit the jackpot, without the tantrum... no go... sigh.

Tonight, no other mother could tell me I'm doing the right thing and have it hit my heart, as I tried to repeat the part of the equation I wasn't willing to yesterday and get Ali to fall asleep in her bed instead of on me in the rocking chair. She doesn't know to close her eyes and she's horribly stubbornly good at playing like she doesn't understand. So we went through the horrible process of the tantrum, me telling her if she didn't lie down and close her eyes or I was going to leave the room, her still not closing her eyes, me leaving and closing her door, her crying.. me going back in. Trying to reason with a two year old that she can do it, she's a big girl.. and the magic words.. she's super! Before Ali, I was a firm believer in the cry it out way to teach a kid to sleep, now with Ali, with those cries... I'm not so willing anymore, besides, really... what else do I have to do that's so pressing? So, we'll try again tomorrow in her bed. And honestly, I'd have to stand at her door and hold the door closed.

Today I realized the kid show Max and Ruby has lots of truth in it. Max, the young, barely speaking, bunny repeats the same word and want through the episode, Ruby, the care giver and older sister tries to thwart him.. she repeats herself a lot with a bit of a spin...but you know.. she doesn't loose her cool and in the end.. they both get what they want and are both happy.  Don't ask me about their parents, seems they aren't around, and Ruby still plays with dolls, so she can't be that old. Maybe bunnies child services or bunny culture is a little different.

Today (and yesterday) I've been craving a cucumber snack in the way (I think) of dear ole Dad... salt on a plate and dip and eat.. mmm mmm

Today, on camera, I captured Ali's silly smile when you ask her to "smile". This is something we just discovered, but we figure she's trying to smile like Momma and doesn't quite have it right. Adorable!


Excuse the long video, I thought she'd interact more, but she just wanted to sit and watch Max and Ruby with Daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment